The Hospital Medicine Fellowship in Quality and Patient Safety at Dell Medical School is a non-ACGME fellowship. It serves as an integrated one-year program designed to provide internal medicine residency graduates with clinical, academic and administrative training in hospital medicine, with an emphasis on quality improvement, patient safety and leadership development. It is ideal for physicians who aspire to have careers in academic hospital medicine.
The fellowship is built upon the foundations of a leading-edge medical school, a top-tier research university and the major safety-net teaching hospital in the county. As a new medical school created in partnership with the community, Dell Med and its programs are committed to educating leaders who transform health and care. Please contact Christopher Moriates, M.D., if you are interested in applying.
The Hospital Medicine Fellowship in Quality and Patient Safety is housed within the Department of Internal Medicine.
The program provides an experience to develop expertise in patient safety and quality improvement. The fellowship includes, but is not limited to:
- Three to four months of clinician-educator experience, including attending on the Green Team, a dedicated innovation ward teaching team focused on enacting small tests of change via rapid Plan-Do-Study-Act cycles during day-to-day clinical work;
- Dedicated time for learning and applying quality improvement and leadership skills, including direct training in health care value, design thinking, leadership and project evaluation through participation in the Distinction Program for Care Transformation foundation curriculum;
- Membership in pertinent hospital committees and programs;
- Mentored leadership of quality improvement/patient safety projects;
- Direct mentorship, including from Chris Moriates, M.D., a national leader in quality, safety and value;
- Participation in the Dell Med incubator for development of scholarly and quality work;
- Opportunity to attend a national professional development program;
- Data analytics training and experience;
- Academic title of “Clinical Instructor in Internal Medicine”;
- Mentoring internal medicine residents and medical students.