Kevin J. Bozic, MD, MBA
Chair of Surgery & Perioperative Care
Dr. Kevin Bozic is the inaugural Chair of the Department of Surgery and Perioperative Care, and Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, at the Dell Medical School at The University of Texas at Austin.
He was most recently the William R. Murray Professor, M.D. Endowed Chair in Orthopaedic Surgery and Professor and Vice Chair of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and a member of the core faculty of the Philip R. Lee Institute for Health Policy Studies at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). He is also a Visiting Scholar in the Institute for Strategy and Competitiveness at the Harvard Business School.
Dr. Bozic is a graduate of the UCSF School of Medicine and the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program. Additionally, he holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Biomedical Engineering from Duke University and a Masters of Business Administration from Harvard Business School. Dr. Bozic has fellowship training in Adult Reconstructive Surgery from Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.
Dr. Bozic’s clinical interests are in management of patients with arthritis of the hip and knee, with an emphasis on primary and revision hip and knee replacement. His research interests are broadly in the fields of health policy and health care services research, and specifically in the areas of healthcare technology assessment, cost-effectiveness analysis, shared medical decision making, and the implementation and evaluation of value-based payment and delivery models. In addition to his clinical and research activities, Dr. Bozic is actively involved in numerous regional and national health policy initiatives, including the University of California Center for Health Quality and Innovation, the American Joint Replacement Registry, the Integrated Healthcare Association’s Episode of Care Payment Program, the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, and Harvard Business School’s Institute for Strategy and Competitiveness.
Dr. Bozic also holds both regional and national leadership positions, including member of the Board of Trustees of the Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation, Chair of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Council on Research and Quality, and member of the Board of Directors of the American Joint Replacement Registry. He is former Chair of the California Joint Replacement Registry.
Dr. Bozic has been the recipient of numerous awards and honors, including the Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation’s Clinical Research Award, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeon’s Clinician-Scientist Traveling Fellowship Award, the American Orthopaedic Association’s American-British-Canadian Traveling Fellowship, the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeon’s James A. Rand Young Investigator Award, and the Orthopaedic Research Society’s William Harris Award.
Research Interests & Publications
- Akhavan S, Ward L, Bozic KJ. Time-driven activity-based costing more accurately reflects costs in arthroplasty surgery. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Epub 2015 Feb 27.
- Lansky D, Nwachukwu BU, Bozic KJ. Using financial incentives to improve value in orthopaedics. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012;470(4):1027-37.
- Van Citters AD, Fahlman C, Goldmann DA, et al. Developing a pathway for high-value, patient-centered total joint arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014;472(5):1619-35.
- Bozic KJ, Ward L, Vail TP, Maze M. Bundled payments in total joint arthroplasty: targeting opportunities for quality improvement and cost reduction. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014;472(1):188-93.
- Bozic KJ, Ward L. A strategy for successful implementation of bundled payments in orthopaedic surgery. JBJS Reviews. 2014; 2 (10): e2.
- Robinson J. Bozic KJ. Consumer choice between hospital-based and freestanding facilities for arthroscopy: impact on prices, spending, and surgical complications. J Bone Joint Surg Am. In press.
- Robinson JC, Pozen A, Tseng S, Bozic KJ. Variability in costs associated with total hip and knee replacement implants. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012;94(18):1693-8.
- Andrawis J, Akhavan S, Chan V, Lehil M, Pong D, Bozic KJ. Higher preoperative patient activation associated with better patient-reported outcomes after total joint arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Epub Mar 2015.
- SooHoo NF, Li Z, Chenok KE, Bozic KJ. Responsiveness of patient reported outcome measures in total joint arthroplasty patients. J Arthroplasty. 2015;30(2):176-91.
- Schamber EM, Takemoto SK, Chenok KE, Bozic KJ. Barriers to completion of patient reported outcome measures. J Arthroplasty. 2013;28(9):1449-53.
- Youm J, Chan V, Belkora J, Bozic KJ. Impact of socioeconomic factors on informed decision making and treatment choice in patients with hip and knee osteoarthritis. J Arthroplasty. 2015;30(2):171-5.
- Ho A, Pinney SJ, Bozic KJ. Ethical concerns in caring for elderly patients with cognitive limitations: a capacity-adjusted shared decision-making approach. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015;97(3):e16.
- Bozic KJ, Belkora J, Chan V, et al. Shared decision making in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip and knee: results of a randomized controlled trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013;95(18):1633-9.
Optimizing Outcomes in Total Joint Arthroplasty
- Bozic KJ, Lau E, Ong K, et al. Risk factors for early revision after primary total hip arthroplasty in Medicare patients. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014;472(2):449-54.
- Bozic KJ, Lau E, Ong K, et al. Risk factors for early revision after primary TKA in Medicare patients. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014;472(1):232-7.
- Bozic KJ, Lau E, Kurtz S, et al. Patient-related risk factors for periprosthetic joint infection and postoperative mortality following total hip arthroplasty in Medicare patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012;94(9):794-800.
News Articles featuring Dr. Kevin Bozic:
- "CMS: New Model for Hip, Knee Replacement Payments." U.S. News. 17 Nov. 2015.
- "Pointers on Approaching Bundled Payments." Orthopreneur. Sept. 2015.
- "DMN reporter got his knees replaced — but was the stiff price a good deal?" The Dallas Morning News. 16 July 2015.
- "Risks Are High at Low-Volume Hospitals." U.S. News. 18 May 2015.
- "Bundled payments give surgeons a powerful new incentive to reduce costs." Modern Healthcare. 01 Mar. 2014.
- "How much does a new hip cost? Even the surgeon doesn't know." Kaiser Health News. 06 Jan. 2014.
- "A new approach to hip surgery." The New York Times. 18 Mar. 2013.
- "New system for patients to report medical mistakes." The New York Times. 22 Sept. 2012.
Dr. Bozic presents his vision for the Department of Surgery & Perioperative Care:
Follow Dr. Bozic on Twitter: @KevinBozic