Ken Shine Prize Lecture
The Ken Shine Prize Lecture features the winner of the Ken Shine Prize in Health Leadership, awarded to a person who has made significant leadership advancements in health.
The annual prize and lecture are made possible by the Kenneth I. Shine, M.D., Excellence Fund in Health Leadership, endowed in 2016 in honor of the former executive vice chancellor for health affairs of The University of Texas System.
As the result of a partnership between the university and the Estate of Seymour Lipton, awardees receive a small bronze reproduction of Seymour Lipton’s sculpture Pioneer. The original full-scale sculpture is exhibited at the Health Learning Building on Dell Med’s campus.
2023 Honoree: Eric Topol, M.D.
Awarded to leaders who make significant advancements in health, the annual Ken Shine Prize brings us closer to visionaries in health.
The 2023 Ken Shine Prize in Health Leadership honoree, Eric Topol, M.D., presented “How Multimodal AI Will Transform Medicine’s Future,” which covered the far-ranging potential outputs and applications of large-language, generative AI — including virtual health coaches, at-home hospitals and significant advances for individualized medicine.
Watch the Lecture
- David A. Asch, M.D., MBA (2022): “Automation and Emotion in Health and Health Care”
- Anthony S. Fauci, M.D. (2021): “A Q&A With Anthony S. Fauci, M.D.”
- Kathleen Dracup, RN, Ph.D., FAAN (2020): “Interprofessional Collaboration in Practice: A Personal Journey”
- Carolyn Clancy, M.D. (2019): “Veterans Health Administration’s New Innovation Center: Testing Novel Payment and Delivery Approaches”
- Steven Schroeder, M.D. (2018): “Trying to Improve Health and Health Care — Twists and Turns Along a Winding Road”
- Donald Berwick, M.D., MPP (2017): “You Cannot Give What You Do Not Have: Exploring Self-Care in the New Health Care System”