The intern works with Department of Surgery and Perioperative Care faculty on research projects. Project topics and types of studies depend on department priorities and research interests of the department chair — Kevin Bozic, MD, MBA, an orthopaedic surgeon — and other faculty members.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- literature review;
- data collection, entry and analysis;
- abstract and manuscript writing;
- administrative duties as needed to support research projects.
The intern also:
- Abides by all research standards, including compliance with documentation requirements, ethical conduct of research and good clinical practices;
- Helps prepare research-related presentations and publications presented by department faculty at national conferences;
- May have opportunities for observation and shadowing in the clinic and/or operating room, depending on interest and receipt of required clearances and approvals.
Expectations for deliverables vary by project but will typically include the preparation of an abstract and/or manuscript for each research project. Expectations are discussed on an ongoing basis with the project principal investigator and during weekly meetings with the assistant director of research.