This blog post is authored by Anthony "AJ" Johnson, M.D., program director of the Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, and Shannon Southerland, program coordinator of the General Surgery Residency.
Residents in the general surgery and orthopaedic surgery programs had a busy summer and are ramping up their work this fall.
General surgery alumni Melanie Bobbs, Andrew Harding and Josh Crosby graduated in June are excited to start the next stage of their surgical career. Here's where they're going:
- Melanie Bobbs is attending a surgical critical care fellowship at the University of New Mexico.
- Andrew Harding is attending a cardiothoracic surgery fellowship at the University of Southern California.
- Joshua Crosby is serving in the U.S. Navy.
The current cohort of general surgery residents have a number of exciting updates going into the fall:
- CJ Riley, a fifth-year resident, welcomed a daughter with his wife, Vanessa, in the early summer.
- Mary Bokenkamp, a fourth-year resident, is at Massachusetts General Hospital participating in research for the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Kristofor Olson, a fourth-year resident, spent the month of September at Memorial Sloan Kettering as the Brennan Visiting Resident.
- Simin Roward and Kristofor Olson, fourth-year residents, are the newest residents to participate in Dell Med's distinction program.
- Charlie Hill, a fourth-year resident, presented at Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons and American Foregut Society conferences this summer.
- Simin Roward, a fourth-year resident, presented at the Southwestern Surgical Congress in September.
In orthopaedic surgery resident news, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons medical student program, supported by AAOS Presidential Line, saw the largest participation (over 120 medical students) in speed mentoring, ex-fix team building and mock interview practice in addition to didactics regarding resume building, mentorship seeking and navigating application processes. Representatives from Dell Med included AJ Johnson, Kevin Bozic, Claire Ryan and Catherine Sargent.