Menu

Arthroplasty and Value-Based Health Care Delivery Fellowship: Curriculum

Fellowship Length: 1 year (8/1/2018-7/31/2019) 
Positions available: 1

What population of patients and type of cases will I be involved with?
The Fellowship will provide the opportunity for the Fellow to deliver care to a broad spectrum of the 1.2 million people who live in the greater Austin area. There are over 1600 primary and revision total joint arthroplasty procedures performed each year across the locations in which the Fellow will practice. Revision procedures make up approximately 15-20% of the volume.

How much of my time will be spent on clinical work versus research?
The fellow is expected to dedicate approximately 60% of his or her time to clinical work (roughly 1 day per week in the office, 2 days per week in the OR). The remaining 40% will be dedicated to a combination of research and policy-oriented activities, shadowing the Chair, Kevin Bozic, MD, MBA, as he works with stakeholders to build, implement, and evaluate value-based delivery and payment models in Austin and throughout the country. Dr. Bozic is a member of the Executive Committee and Chair-Elect of the American Joint Replacement Registry, and the Fellow will have the opportunity to participate in shaping the future of outcomes measurement and reporting for TJR patients in the U.S.  The Fellow will also participate on a multi-disciplinary health services research team that involves health economists, biometricians, social scientists, and design engineers, in the evaluation of value-based payment and delivery models. 

What kind of clinical/teaching conferences will I participate in?
The Fellow will be actively engaged in both organizing and participating in Undergraduate, Graduate, and Continuing Medical Education activities. 

Will I be able to attend the AAOS and AAHKS annual meetings?
The Fellow will be sponsored to attend at least one national meeting during the course of his or her Fellowship, with the option to attend additional conferences if he or she is presenting.